This development board has SIM7000A module which is Multi-Band LTE-FDD solution that supports bands for the North American region (Verizon/AT&T in U.S). SIM7000A has support for both LTE CAT-M1(eMTC) and NB-IoT.
What is included?
- SIMCOM EVB Board
- SIM7000A TE board
- 1 license of AT Command Tester For Simcom Modules tool
- Free Soracom SIM Card – Includes $10 of activation and service fee
|Form Factor||Hardware Development Board|
|Technologies||LTE CAT-M1 (eMTC), NB-IoT|
|Download Speed||LTE CAT-M1 – 300 kbps
|Upload Speed||LTE CAT-M1 – 375 kbps
|Interfaces||USB, GPIOs, ADC, I2C|
|GPS Support||GPS, GLONASS and BeiDou/Compass, Galileo, QZSS)|
This tutorial is applicable for SIM7000A and SIM7000C Simcom modules.
- Assemble the development kit
- Install the drivers
- Connect to AT Command Tester
- Run Diagnostics Commands
- Check Network Connection
- Send SMS
- Set up PDP Profile
- Set up TCP/IP Connection
- Set up Bearer Profiles
- Set up HTTP Connection
- Set up for LTE CAT-M
- Set up for NB-IoT
Assemble the SIM7000A development kit
- Plugin the SIM7000A TE board in to the SIMCOM EVB.
- Plugin the Main and GPS antenna ports.
- Insert the SIM card.
- Connect the USB port to the computer.
- Connect the power chord.
- Set the RF and POWER switches to the ON position.
- Press the ‘POWER ON’ key for 2-3 seconds to power-up the board.
Install the drivers
- Download the CP210x USB to UART bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver from the below link,
Connect the USB port on the SIMCOM-EVB board to USB port of your computer. If the VCP drivers are installed successfully, 2 virtual COM ports should be visible under the PORTS in Device Manager.
Connect the SIM7000A board to AT Command Tester
After the drivers are installed, launch the AT Command Tester application. Connect to the enhanced COM port (COM4 in above case). Please note that the standard and enhanced ports may enumerate to different port numbers in your computer.
Run diagnostics commands with SIM7000A module
Using the tool, run diagnostics AT commands on SIM7500A module.
Check Network Connectivity on the SIM7000A Module
Get the signal strength and the registration status on the SIM7000A module. If the module is unable to acquire the signal, registration will not be possible. Check the antenna connector on the board. Also verify the band is properly configured on the SIM7000A module.
Send SMS with SIM7000A module
Using the tool, send SMS SMS with SIM7500A module.
Set up Packet Data Protocol (PDP) profiles
Set up APN in the PDP profile. Check with the network provider regarding what APN should be provisioned for your network.
Setup TCP/IP connection with SIM7000A
Using the AT Command Tester tool, setup TCP/IP connection with the SIM7000A module.
Setup bearer profiles with SIM7000A
Using the AT Command Tester tool, setup bearer profiles with SIM7000A module.
Test HTTP feature with SIM7000A module
AT Command Tester tool provides an easy interface to test HTTP GET and HTTP POST features with the SIM7000A module.
- Verify bearer profiles are setup prior to HTTP connection
- User SIM7000A HTTP AT commands to start the HTTP session
- Setup HTTP parameters
- Get the response from remote site using AT+HTTPREAD command
- For HTTP POST, set AT+HTTPACTION=1
- User AT+HTTPDATA to send the POST data
- If post is successful, use AT+HTTPREAD to get the response from the server.
Setup SIM7000A for LTE CAT-M
- Set preferred selection to CAT-M
- Get supported/current bands for CAT-M
- Set bands for CAT-M
Setup SIM7000A for NB-IoT
- Set preferred selection to NB-IoT
- Get supported/current bands for NB-IoT
- Set bands for NB-Iot
Video – Connect AT Command Tester to SIM7000A
Video – Install drivers for SIM7000A
Video – Run diagnostics commands on SIM7000A
Video – Check network connection on SIM7000A
Video – Set up APN for SIM7000A
Video – TCP Connection with SIM7000A
Video – Send SMS with SIM7000A
Soracom SIM Card
- To register the Free SIM included in the kit – https://www.soracom.io/getting-started/
AT Command Tester
- Please post your questions in the forum – https://m2msupport.net/m2msupport/forums/forum/at-command-tester/