This development board has SIM7500A module which is Multi-Band LTE/HSPA that supports bands for the North American region (Verizon/AT&T in U.S).
What is included?
- SIMCOM EVB
- SIM7500A TE Board
- 1 license of AT Command Tester tool for learning and testing the development kit.
- 1 Soracom SIM card – Includes $10 of activation and service fee. Please check the support section for details.
|Form Factor||Hardware Development Board|
|Download Speed||LTE – 10 Mbps
HSPA+ – 42 Mbps
GPRS/EDGE – 236.8 Kbps
|Upload Speed||LTE – 5 Mbps
HSPA+ – 5.76 Mbps
GPRS/EDGE – 236.8 kbps
|Software||TCP/IP, FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, TLS, File System|
|Interfaces||USB, GPIOs, ADC, I2C|
|Voice Support||PCM, Analog Voice (Optional)|
|GPS Support||GPS, GLONASS and BeiDou/Compass, Galileo, QZSS)|
This tutorial is applicable for SIM7100X and SIM7500X Simcom modules as both those modules use the same set of AT commands.
- Assemble the development kit
- Install the drivers
- Connect to AT Command Tester
- Run Diagnostics Commands
- Check Network Connection
- Set up PDP Profile
- Set up TCP/IP Connection
- Set up HTTP Connection
Assemble the SIM7500A development kit
Connect the SIM7500-TE board to the SIMCOM-EVB board as shown in picture below.
- Plugin the SIM7500A board to the SIMCOM EVB board.
- Connect the primary, secondary and GNSS antennas.
- Insert the SIM card.
- Connect the USB port to the computer.
- Connect the power chord.
- Set the RF and Power switches to ON.
- Power the development board by pressing the ‘POWER ON’ key.
Install the drivers
- Download the CP210x USB to UART bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver from the below link,
Connect the USB port on the SIMCOM-EVB board to USB port of your computer. If the VCP drivers are installed successfully, 2 virtual COM ports should be visible under the PORTS in Device Manager.
Connect the SIM7500A development kit to AT Command Tester
After the drivers are installed, launch the AT Command Tester application. Connect to the enhanced COM port (COM6 in above case). Please note that the standard and enhanced ports may enumerate to different port numbers in your computer.
Run diagnostics commands with SIM7500A module
Using the AT Command Tester application, run diagnostics commands to get some basic information about the SIM7500A module.
Check Network Connectivity on the SIM7500A Module
In the sim card is installed and the primary and diversity antennas are connected, SIM7500A should connect and register with the network. Check the signal strength and registration status of the module using the AT Command Tester tool.
If there are network connection issues with SIM7500A module, check the following items,
- SIM card status should be ‘Ready’
- The SIM card is active in the network
- Check the band settings of the module. Please check AT+CNBP at command for preferred band settings.
- Ensure that primary and diversity antennas are properly connected to the system.
- Verify that the module is placed in a location where network connection is available.
Set up Packet Data Protocol (PDP) profiles
Before you can establish a network connection with the SIM7500A module, you need to set up PDP profiles. The main part of the PDP profile is the Access Point Name(APN). Each network provider will have one or more APNs that needs to provisioned in the module. Please check the APN of your network provider and use the AT Command Tester tool to program it in the module.
Setup TCP/IP connection with SIM7500A
SIM7500A has a built-in TCP/IP stack, applications using that module can setup TCP connections using AT commands. Use the AT Command Tester tool to test the TCP/IP AT Commands.
Test HTTP feature with SIM7500A module
Use the AT Command Tester tool to test HTTP GET and POST features of the SIM7500A module.
HTTP GET script
HTTP POST script
Video – Connect AT Command Tester to SIM7500A
Video – Install drivers for SIM7500A
Video – Run diagnostics commands on SIM7500A
Video – Check network connection on SIM7500A
Video – TCP Connection with SIM7500A
Video – HTTP Connection with SIM7500A
Soracom SIM Card
- To register the Free SIM included in the kit – https://www.soracom.io/getting-started/
AT Command Tester
- Please post your questions in the forum – https://m2msupport.net/m2msupport/forums/forum/at-command-tester/