3g shield between arduino and web access

Home Forums M2M Support Forum 3g shield between arduino and web access

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Admin 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

hussein mahmoud

can any one help me with this:
    if i am using an arduino 3g shield (controlled by AT commands) to control an arduino using the internet (web application\web access), what areas of knowledge should i be familiar with regarding the 3g Shield so that i can be guided using internet and to control the arduino accordingly? where to write the AT commands and how to compile\burn it to the shield?

sorry guys it seems a dumb question cause i am not familiar with the AT commands by any means, but for the sake of getting my project done (web controlled quad-rotor).

thanks,

#6229 Reply

Admin
    Keymaster

For you to control the arduino shield remotely, there are 2 options
    Configure your 3G shield for web server – The only issue here is that each time you connect your 3G modem to the network, you’ll get different IP address (unless you get a SIM with static IP address). In your Arduino IDE, you can look at File->Examples->GSM->GsmWebServer example. You’ll need to upload this code to your arduino if you choose this path.

Configure your 3G shield for web client – In this case, after your connect to the network, you can make an HTTP request to your web server. In this case you dont need to know the IP address beforehand. That way you can upload any local data to your remote server. Look at File->Examples->GSM->GsmWebClient example.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by  Admin.
    #6231 Reply

hussein mahmoud

Thanks very much for your promote reply it is appreciated.

but do you think using Xbee or wifi shield would be much faster than HTTP?

and sorry i did not get where will i use the AT commands?

thanks again 🙂

#6232 Reply

Admin
    Keymaster

Xbee data rate is roughly around 19 kbps.
    3G shield speeds depends on the network, but you may typically get 300 – 600 Kbps.
    WiFi shield speed depend on the technology (a/b/g/n), but you can get somethig that can support 5-10 Mbps.
    For HTTP, WiFi or 3G or GPRS would be a better option..

To use AT commands with Arduino Shields,
    – You can use AT Command Tester tool. You can check here on how to do this. With this option, you can send AT commands from the computer directly to the 3G shield
    – You can write a arduino sketch and send AT commands directly from the Arduino to the 3G shield. Please look at File->Examples->GSM->Tools->TestModem to understand how this is done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: 3g shield between arduino and web access
Your information: